July 20, 2010
Well hello,
This week has been full of some fun times and some hard times, mostly fun though. So it started out last Wednesday when we got to the transfer site. I was really nervous to train so I was doing my best to push the nerves out of my mind. I just didn't think about it and spent time with the other missionaries. When I saw the new missionaries pull up to the transfer site I could have sworn it was Christmas morning. My heart was pounding through my chest and I couldn't stand still. Then I met my son (my new missionary). His name is Elder Cameron Thomas Hoskin. He is from Las Vegas and is a great kid. I lucked out with a great companion. He really wants to work hard and to do his very best. I didn't think I would be that nervous. It was crazy. So we have spent this week getting him adjusted, talking to ward members, and helping him get out of his comfort zone. It has been fun. We have all kinds of first experiences for him. The other day he got bit by a dog, then we had to knock down like 30 wasps nests. Yesterday he hit his bike handle bar on a fence and totally crashed (luckily he is okay), then we got flipped off and yelled at and of course lots of doors slammed in our face. For some reason I just like getting doors slammed. But I like it more when we get return appointments!
So we were tracting the other day and we ran into this lady named Shayla. Somehow prophets came up and I asked her if she thought it would be important to have a prophet today. She was like, "that would help so much to guide my family and me". It was perfect and those are moments that only happen in Conference talks. So we testified and set up a return appointment. We did have a few times where we got discouraged but we just stopped said a prayer and asked for help. I know the Lord answers our prayers and helps us when we need it. We have had so many great experience tracting and met some funny people. So we go to this house and this little girl answers the door. We ask if her mom is home. Another little girl goes to get her mom and the one who answers the door gets this rally intense look on her face and whispers "she smokes weed, inside the house". It was so funny. I couldn't laugh though because the mom came to the door right after that.
It has been a fun week and I am enjoying my new companion. He is getting adjusted well and is a great missionary. He still has the ‘deer in the head-lights’ look, but it is okay. Last night we taught Ward Family Home Evening and it was a great time. They had a small slip and slide out. Of course you know my inner kid took over and the missionaries had to join in the festivities. We did the slip and slide in our shirt and tie. It was so fun. We have just been enjoying life and getting Elder Hoskin adjusted. As you can tell I am doing great. My spirits are high and I love life. Time is flying by and I see the hand of our Heavenly Father in our everyday life. I hope you are all being safe and you are all replacing fear with faith. Thanks for all you do for me and have a great week.
Love,
Elder Draper
No comments:
Post a Comment