17 May 2011
Hello Everyone!
So this week was a very good week and all is going well. I am getting settled into my new area and assignment. This last week has been mainly full of trainings that we had the opportunity to give. You would think giving the same training a few times in a row would get repetitive but each time that I heard the various training I was able to receive new revelation and insights that I hadn't picked out before. It is like the reading scriptures or listening to conference again. Each time you read, something may stick out to you that you had never noticed before or you may find the answer to a question that recently came up. I have been reading the Book of Mormon again and I have noticed this happening a lot lately. For example, yesterday I was reading in Mosiah 2. I was reading the part where King Benjamin is teaching the people about not being prideful and explaining that God has given them everything. I read over it a couple of times and it really made me think how blessed I am. I have been blessed with so much in my life and I know that it is all from my Heavenly Father. King Benjamin asks them a question "of what have ye to boast?" It was just one of those examples where you take a step back and look at the bigger picture.
Okay so back to the trainings. Four out of the seven days last week involved a training. We had two different lessons that we were giving. The first training was the video of Elder Holland that I talked about last week. The other one was for all the leadership in the mission. We gave a lesson on the Gospel or doctrine of Jesus Christ. We had wonderful discussions on what it is and how it can apply to each of our lives. All the imponderable blessings can only be received by those who receive the principles and ordinances of the Gospel. As it says in 2 Nephi 31, "this is the way and there is none other way nor name given under Heaven whereby man can be saved in the Kingdom of God." Jesus Christ is the way and because of His atonement we can return to live with our Heavenly Father. We don't have to go through our lives and carry our burdens alone. We don't have to go through our trials alone. If we are striving to live a Christ centered life and follow the commandments, we will never be alone. Christ suffered for us so that our burdens may be light. That is one of the main things that I took away from the trainings this past week is that the atonement is real. It is not for just one or two people, but it is for everyone.
We also had the chance to spend two nights in Vancouver/ Woodland this last week. We went on exchanges with the Zone leaders in those areas and were able to do some work there. I had the chance to be with Elder Boren and Elder Denny the first night and it is always interesting to be with different missionaries and see how they do the work. I learned firsthand that it is so important to love the people you are serving. If we are just going into a situation to teach a lesson and not a person it is not going to be as effective. We saw some of the most breathtaking views of Woodland though and we had the chance to teach a PMF that is starting to progress. The next night I was with Elder Olsen and Elder Duke in Vancouver. Part of their area touches some of my old areas and it was interesting to go back and drive down some of the same streets. We didn't have as much success with them but we were able to talk to a lot of people and got a few return appointments. I think one of my favorite things about this new assignment is that I get to go out and work with all the missionaries in the WKM. I have already met so many and I am getting to know the rest. I am trying to get to know them all pretty quickly because we are getting sixteen new missionaries this next transfer.
The Pasco 9th Ward (our area) is also doing really well. We still have four people on date that are on track. Jennifer and Grant Smith are going to be baptized this week. We had their baptismal interview yesterday. It is a miracle that it is going to happen and I am so grateful for the chance I have to be here. They are the ones that we put on date the first night I was here. It is a part member house and the missionaries have been going over for about two years now. There is no greater joy than completing a family. Their youngest daughter is seven now but I will probably still be here in September when she gets baptized as well. That dad was a less active member but has turned his life around and is going to be able to baptize them. Zach and Zoe Lund are still on track as well. We need to teach them a little bit more but all is well for them. Zoe and her mom have to go out of town for a little bit this next week for a doctor’s appointment but it will all work out. We have so many other families that are close but they just have a few hang ups so we are going to try and get those out of the way. Many of the families here are part member so we are trying to get those families completed and get them to the temple. We have been working hard and have had a few long nights but there is no greater joy than this. I love this work. On some other news I found out that Dona Smith, one of the ladies that was baptized in Pendleton passed away this last week and had her funeral on Saturday. She was 84 and one of the sweetest ladies you could ever meet. The best part is that she has the gospel and has accepted it. Her daughter Waltra was also baptized at the same time and has already started making preparations to do her work next year in the temple. That family will be together forever and I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to bring the gospel into their lives.
The Gospel of Jesus Christ is true and there is no greater thing that we can be doing.
Have a safe week and remember to replace fear with faith. I know that my savior lives and as we have faith in Him it will bring greater happiness than ever before. "Oh sweet the joy this sentence gives, I know that my Redeemer lives." I pray that we each remember it and do our best each day to follow him.
Love,
Elder Draper
No comments:
Post a Comment