26 April 2011
Well Happy Easter,
Thanks to my family and some wonderful members here in Pendleton, Elder Liu and I were able to have a wonderful Easter celebration! We dyed Easter eggs, ate ham and funeral potatoes, and I even found an Easter egg while we were doing some service on Saturday.
Along with Easter it was a very good week. Elder Liu and I are seeing great things happen each day. For example, we got a text from one of our investigators at 3:15 in the morning. He is going on a trip and had previously said that he wasn't going to take his copy of the Book of Mormon. Then the text said "I found some room to squeeze in my Book of Mormon". That was from Tom Young who will become a member; we just have to teach him the lessons! There is so much potential in this area and so many good things happening. It is amazing how at the beginning of our time together here we went through and weeded out all those people who were not ready. We were left with not very many people to teach. It has been a battle but over the last three months we have been truly blessed. It wasn't all at once but it is coming. The next missionaries in this area will have a lot to do when they come in. Transfers are next week so we will see if one of us leaves or if we get to stay together for another one. I would love to stay but whatever happens, I know it is form the Lord.
We taught almost all of our investigators this week. We had a lesson in a library this week and it was really cool. We had to be quiet but there were no distractions around. It made me think about how our Heavenly Father teaches us; like how many times do we just have too many distractions and too much noise in our lives. We have to take time to step away from the distractions and listen for the still small voice that can lead and guide us. That lesson turned out very good and she learned a lot.
We have few of our investigator that are struggling but I have noticed that the more they learn about the gospel, the more peace and joy they have had in their lives. The most rewarding part is when they realize that it is not us bringing happiness, but it is our Heavenly Father who is blessing them.
So lately our mission has been starting a challenge to read the Book of Mormon. As I have been reading I have gained so much more insight and understanding. I learn things that I have never picked out before and have been able to use the Book of Mormon more effectively in my teaching. This week Elder Liu and I gave out our 40th copy of the Book of Mormon. That is forty seeds that one day may bloom into a beautiful tree. It all starts with planting the seeds.
Our Easter services were really good as well. That is the nice thing about having two wards is that you get to hear more speakers. One of the talks really stood out to me. He was talking about how on "good Friday" when Savior was crucified, the earth was rent in twain and was in darkness, but that it is so important to remember that when Sunday came the light came and we knew that our Savior lives. He related this to each of our lives. How many times do we have that Friday in our lives? Where we feel we can't go on and there is no hope we must never give up. If we trust in the Lord and rely on him for strength, Sunday will always come. The light will come in our lives and like it says in D&C 121: 7-8 "Peace be unto thy soul, thine adversity and affliction shall be but a small moment; and then if thou wilt endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over thy foes." I have been reflecting on that these past few days. I have had some pretty dark times on my mission and in my life, we all have many Fridays. It was when I trusted in the Lord and humbled myself to His will that I was lifted from that darkness and my Sunday came. I know that Christ is our Redeemer and our Savior. He is the light and life of the world. Oh sweet the joy this sentence gives, I know that my Redeemer lives.
Always remember that we need not fear. As we have faith and believe on His name, we will be delivered from the hands of our enemies. I hope you have a wonderful week and remember to look for the good things in the everyday. There are tender mercies all around us, sometimes we just have to look. I urge you to take the challenge that the Washington Kennewick mission is taking and read the Book of Mormon. It is the way that we can know. I know that it is true and the blessings that come from it can change each of our lives.
Love,
Elder Scottie Draper
No comments:
Post a Comment