31 August 2010
Well hello everyone,
The rain has finally come back to the northwest. Today it is raining and all gloomy. I welcome the rain though because it has been hot and humid for the last month.
Well this week was so great. It really was just a week that we were able to get a lot of work done and to teach a lot of people. One of the biggest things that happened was that we got someone to come to church. We hardly ever get someone to come to church. So last Monday we invited this guy named Igor to come. We didn’t think he would come but when you see an investigator wander into the church and then come into the chapel you can't help but have a big smile on your face. I wanted to jump for joy but I kept it in. He even stayed for all three hours. It was really good. He may not get baptized but it was such a great boost for both Elder Hoskin and I. We worked our butts off last week. We taught twenty three solid lessons this last week, and our plans just started to go through and people were really receptive. We decided that we need to do some more finding as well so we have been tracting every morning from like 10:30 to noon. As we put that effort in and showed that we were willing to work, we found almost twenty new potential investigators. We are just really excited because the work is moving forward. This transfer is going to be awesome and I am excited that Elder Hoskin and I get to be together for one more transfer. We live with the same two elders in our apartment. It is nice to have the other Elder’s there with us. We work off of each other and help each other answer questions that our investigators may have.
So here is just a little information about some of the people that we saw this week. I figured I haven't really talked a lot about the people we are teaching. We are meeting with a lady named Miss Oliver. She is Catholic but is open to us coming over and teaching her. We challenged her to read the Book of Mormon this week and she said she would. I may have mentioned a kid named Gian. We had a good meeting with him. He quit smoking after two years so we are really focusing on the Atonement and how Christ knows what we are going through. We had a lesson with Will Green and his wife Paula. I think they are finally getting more comfortable with us because they are opening up more. We were able to actually set up another lesson with them. That usually never happens. We saw Kristina again. She is going to the Cross Roads Church but has been interested in finding out about our Church. She is really nice and really receptive to the message. We saw Laurie this week and gave her a copy of the Book of Mormon. She is working through the AA program and NA (narcotics) program. We have been going over the packet that the Church gives to people in her situation. We did find out some bad news about two of our other investigators. Joe Gregory got salmonella from the eggs. Also we had been meeting with this guy named Bob Townsen. He used to be pretty engaging and was a lot more lively. We hadn't been able to meet with him for a couple weeks and out of no where his wife called us told us that the other day he started having head aches. They tried a few things but it wasn't getting better so she took him to the doctor and when he got there he started throwing up. So they rushed him in and found out that he has five brain lesions and five cancer spots on his tongue. They told him to rush to the ER and they started radiation on him today.
That is just a little brief summary of the main people that we were able to see this week. I love finding new people who are open to listening to our message. We found out some cool info on one of the people that I helped Elder Hardy and Willoughby teach. We helped teach her while Elder Willoughby was at that training. She is getting baptized. She will be the first person that I have taught more than once that is getting baptized. I am pretty excited. She is a great lady that was just in a tough situation. So we helped her find a new place to stay and she is getting baptized like next week.
This was a fun week. We had another Ward Family Home evening last night. Sorry no water slide this time, but we did have this kid named Joe show up. He is dating one of the girls in our ward. He is just a cool kid that is not a member. We hung out with him last night and showed him that missionaries are normal people with extraordinary callings. We are hoping to start teaching him soon. We had a lot of wonderful lessons this week. I learned a lot as well. I learned that the spirit really does guide us. We were walking down the street trying to get to the next person we wanted to see. I looked across the street and saw some people in their garage and didn't think to go talk to them. But as soon as we walked a little further it felt like this huge gust of wind just stopped me in my tracks and turned my head towards that garage. I figured it couldn't hurt to talk them. After all we really need to talk to everyone. So we went up and ended up talking to Kevin for like forty five minutes and he is going to talk to his wife and find a time to feed us dinner and let us teach him and his family a lesson. It was a cool experience to see where the Spirit will lead and direct us.
I could just keep going on and on but I hope your week was great as well. I hope it was safe and productive. It is weird to think that school is already back in and I have almost been out for a year. It is flying by. I was reading through the scriptures the other day and I was looking at examples of light vs dark. There are so many examples of that in the scriptures. But it just hit me that we each have dark times, we each fall, we each stumble and we are all lost at times. Our Heavenly Father loves us though and has sent a Light to lead and guide us. To be a Light in those dark times, to pick us up when we fall (Micah 7:8) and to direct us down that path that will lead to eternal life. Christ is that Light (John 8:12). Remember the Lord loves each one of us and as we strive the replace fear with faith we will replace the dark with the light. When that light is Christ, he will direct our paths for good. Have a wonderful week and be safe.
Love,
Elder M Scottie Draper
No comments:
Post a Comment