14 June 2011
This week was insane,
So it is already the last week of the transfer. This is always one of the craziest weeks in the office. A majority of this last week was spent working with transfers and getting everything all ready for that. I would have never imagined that it would be this much work to move around a few missionaries. I think one of the big factors for this transfer is that we are getting eighteen new missionaries and we have seventeen going home. Seven of those that are going home were Zone Leaders and the rest were in other leadership spots so we had to find replacements for them and to let all trainers know what is going on. I think we finally got it all figured out but it was an intense week. Transfers are an inspired work. This whole work is an inspired work.
We did have a few opportunities to get out and do some work in our area. We also were able to go out on exchange with our District leader. Yes, assistants have a District leader. It is like the prophet having his bishop.
In the Pasco 9th ward we are having great success and we are finally getting into some houses that we have struggled to get into in the past. Now that school is over and things are not quite as crazy people seem to have a little bit more time on their hands. Yesterday we had two amazing lessons with some part member families. We were able to sit down with the Mollote family and talk with them a little bit more about the Plan of Salvation. We noticed that a lot of people may have the knowledge of the Gospel and scriptures but they haven't internalized it. When someone internalizes it and sees how it really applies to them, that is when they truly gain a testimony and become converted. We have been trying to help people see why it is so important to them. This isn't just another sales campaign or advertisement; this is eternal life that we are talking about and this is what brings eternal happiness. In the words of Alma the Younger, "O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth." (Alma 29:1-2) I wish that I could declare this great news unto everyone and they would just get it. That is not part of the great plan of redemption though. We each have the opportunity to make the choice. We taught kind of the same lesson to the Frankeburger family. Jeff Frankeburger gave the perfect example of this. He said he had been taking the lessons for awhile, he has talked to his father-in-law and other members, but he said he never understood how it applied to him and for his family. We were able to help him understand that the Plan of Salvation is not just for us as an individual; it is really for our families and is the only way that our families can be together forever. This gospel is an amazing blessing to each of us. We also were able to have a lesson with Nalani Anderson. She is good to go and is excited for it. The only down turn is that she has wanted to get baptized for a long time but her husband has always stood in the way. Things haven't been going very good for their marriage and they are probably going to get divorced. It is not because of the baptism but I think that may be one thing that may just seal it. She said this is what she knows she needs to do for her family and that she is going to press forward with it no matter what. I know her baptism will be wonderful; it is just sad to see the rest of her life kind of go downhill while she is trying to improve. It is another testament though that Christ can heal all wounds. He doesn't take them away but he gives us the strength to overcome it.
Those were the main lessons that we taught this week but we were able to have a wonderful exchange. I went to their area and was with Elder Nielson for a night. There are so many elders that have so much potential but are living below it. There was a quote that I heard this week that was given by Pres. Hinckley. He said " one of the greatest tragedies we witness almost daily is the tragedy of men of high aim and low achievement. Their motives are noble. Their capacity is great but their discipline is weak. They succumb to indolence. Appetite robs them of will." I agree with President Hinckley that it is so sad to see missionaries not living up to their full potential. While on exchange I have been trying to help others recognize what their full potential is. We were able to see great success as we just strive to be obedient and to do our best.
We put someone on date, we found three new potential investigators and set up two or three appointments with current investigators. I am not saying that every day is like this or that you have to be like this to reach your full potential. It was not the numbers that made that day great. It was the constant and diligent effort that made that day great. In life it is not what you have that makes you great. It is what you have become that makes you great. Our Heavenly Father has allowed us this opportunity to become like Him and to become perfect. We just need to step up to the plate and follow the guidelines that he has set forth. On a mission He has given us everything we need to be an exceptional teacher on our first day. We just need to be obedient and keep moving forward. If we do so we will have the spirit and it is when we have the spirit that we teach with power and authority.
Well I hope you have a wonderful week. I love you and hope you stay safe. You are in my prayers daily. Remember to replace fear with faith and achieve your full potential. Look for the joy that comes from the Gospel and always strive to be internalizing it. Our testimonies are a constant process and I know that I have just started to build mine. It is something that I will be working on my whole life. I am grateful for the Savior and for all that He does for me. Always remember we are never alone and that our Heavenly Father loves us and His whole purpose is to help us to return to live with Him.
Love,
Elder M Scottie Draper
No comments:
Post a Comment