16 November 2010
My Last Week in Zillah
Well Hello Everyone,
So this week was good but brought a interesting twist. I found out on Saturday that this would be my last few days in Zillah, Washington. Getting transferred came as a complete surprise to everyone. Elder Worwood and I were pretty positive that we were going to stay together. He only has three weeks before he goes home and we figured President would just leave us together. but I guess the Spirit directed him to send me to other places and that it wasn't right for us to stay together. The week of transfers is always hard because if you or your companion is getting transferred, the transfer kind of takes over. I mean the work still goes forward but you go around and say ‘bye’ to everyone and get pictures and addresses. It is a weird feeling only being in an area for six weeks. I got to know a few families but not a whole lot. One thing that I do know is that I love Zillah Washington. It is an amazing place; whether it is the apples and fruit, the Friday night football games, the brand new church building, the amazing members or just the small town atmosphere. I have learned so much from my time here. I was trying to think back on the things that have happened and it seems like it was just yesterday that I was getting here. Elder Worwood and I came into the area and didn't really have anything to do. We struggled a lot those first few weeks, but as we worked hard and did our best we were blessed. After I got the call that I would be transferred, there was definitely a somber feeling in our apartment. We just didn't know what to expect and with the new way they are doing transfers it doesn't help. I usually have a couple months to work in an area but it makes me wonder if I have done what I was supposed to while I was here. There is so much that needs to be done in this area and I am just glad I was able to serve here for a little while.
My testimony of work has increased. We were taking care of our ‘tracting’ logs this morning and noticed that we had tracked around 300 houses this transfer. I mean we could have done more but I figured that was a good start. I know that work and success are correlated. I don't just mean success as in baptisms or how many lessons you teach, but I mean in the way we strengthen our testimonies and learn from every situation we are in. That is why we are on this earth to learn from the experiences we have and decide what choices we will make. I know that I have become a better person and a much better missionary. I have had some of the most spiritual lessons here in Zillah and faced situations that I will remember for the rest of my life. The more I have thought about the blessing we have received, the more grateful I am. I know that this is the Lord’s work and we are each placed in an area for a reason. I know that wherever I am going will be great and the work will continue. It is just hard to leave those people that you have grown to love. I have grown to love each of our investigators, even though they may be frustrating as all get out. I have seen the Gospel bless their lives and in turn it has blessed mine. I hope that I will be close that I could still make it to Brandon's baptism. I hope that the Place family will see how important the Gospel is and will just take that step of faith. I hope that all those people that we have been lead to will come closer to their Heavenly Father by following the example of Jesus Christ. I know that it is faith, hope and love that keep us going each day.
This week was full of great experiences that I am glad I was able to be here for. We got in contact with this less active family who lived out in the boonies of the Satus Valley. We hadn't planned to see them at first but it always seems like things turn out. We started teaching them and now they come to church each week. Last night when I was saying goodbye to them, I was planning to just bear my testimony but I felt the urge to bear my testimony of temples and how important they are. It turns out that they have both been thinking about that as well. They both came into the marriage with kids and struggle with the other parents but as we set a goal for them to go to the temple and be sealed to those kids forever, the spirit filled the room. You could just see that twinkle and the familiar peace come into their eyes. Those are the kind of experiences that I will remember for the rest of my life. They may be less active but I know that every soul is important in the eyes of God.
You never think that your emotions could change so much in a week, but let me tell you they can. I am a sad that I am leaving, but that song "I'll go where you want me to go" keeps playing through my head. Whether it is the tri-cities or Vancouver, there are people that need to hear the Gospel and that is why I am out here. I am just so thankful for this chance to have been in Zillah. I am thankful for this Gospel and the peace and joy it brings. I am thankful for my Savior and Redeemer. I am thankful for my family and I know that I can be with them forever. This is just another situation where ‘replacing fear with faith’ will come in handy. Everything will be great; It is just rough getting transferred. I hope you all have a great week. Be safe, live without regrets and remember to show gratitude for the amazing blessings our Heavenly Father gives us.
Love
Elder Draper
No comments:
Post a Comment