Wednesday, February 3, 2010

letters home

Well hello everyone,
Everything in Washington is going great. I actually saw the sun a few times this week. I think this week has been one of the first times I have seen the sun since I have been here. Well this is the last week of the transfer. I have been in Washington for 6 weeks now. It is weird to think I have been here that long. I am staying were I am at and so is elder Deloach. I will be at the same address for 6 more weeks, unless I get sent to Mongolia. I am crossing my fingers. This week was slow and wasn't the most productive day but I will explain what did happen in my week in review. (If I could add sounds there would be a little ta-da after I say week in review haha)

Tuesday-1/19
It was a really slow p-day. We just played games and had a good time. I talked to liu and a couple other people. That’s about it. I did hear from the other Mongols and they got told that I might be about a month until they get their visas. That was told to them about 2 weeks ago. I will believe the things about the visas when I am in the air on a plane to Mongolia.
Wed.-1/20
It was a slow day during the day and we didn't really get much done. The area we live in has a lot of people who work 9-5 jobs so no one is really home during the day. We try but it makes it a little more difficult to do things. But we did go do some service at don and dales house. We helped them move some boxes. Then we went to dinner at brother Venama's house. It was good and we had a very good conversation with him. He is just an interesting guy and is so nice. After that we went to matt and heather palmer’s house for a visit. Deni and Nick. I know you guys have a lot of movies and games, but the palmers put you to shame. They have every system and tons of games for them. They have two big drawers full of the games from Nintendo 64 and before. Then they have a book case for all the current games and systems. It is crazy. They are way nice people though. They are less active members so we are just working with them to get them to come back to church.
thurs.-1/21
So Thursday was a good day. We had a great lesson at the Herrera’s. It went really well and Mario is making really good progress. Then we stopped by brother butlers to say hi and he let me borrow a bike so now I have a bike to use instead of walking everywhere. It will be so nice. Then we did a little bit more service don. We played a little hackie sack with him too. It is really hard playing hackie in a suit and dress clothes. That night we had dinner with the Livingston and just the funniest things were said. Their kids are so smart and just smartalics. We were saying that their parents know everything but then the daughter chimes in and says no they don't. They don't know when Jesus will come again. She is like 7and I couldn't help but laugh and just keep going. It made my night.
Friday-1/22
So Friday we did a little service around the Houston’s. We helped them organize some stuff. I was looking through a cabinet and saw all these records. As I went through there were some of the coolest records. But then I got to a huge stack of old laser discs. I had heard about them but never seen one. For those who don't know it is a DVD that is the size of a record. They are so cool. And they have a working laserdisc player. I want to watch one so bad. They have like all the old James bond and star wars. That night we went to Virgil Olsen’s for dinner. We gave his a wife a blessing because she wasn't feeling good and then we talked with Virgil for awhile. He just told us all his old cowboy stories and times when he was on search and rescue. There were some crazy stories. He was on security when evil kenevil jumped twin falls. He just has some fun stories and we are still trying to get a copy of his life story.
Sat-1/23
We did the usual stuff on Saturday. Except I thought I was going to explode by the end of the night. We had a great meal at the Rios'. We figured our dinner wouldn't be too big because last time we went over it was really small so we ate a ton at the Rios. So we are full from that and go over to the lawlers. We find out they have a chef staying with them and he prepared the best ham I have tasted. It was topped with grilled pineapple and had pineapple juice on it. It was so good and it ate a ton there too. It was just not a good situation for my stomach but for my mouth it was awesome.
Sunday-1/24
It was a good Sunday and I learned some good things. In church I learned to new quotes that I really like. One is "we have to go through the valleys to get to the top of the mountains". We have to be going through the low times before we can get to the high times. Also if we go through the hard times it makes the better times even better. Then in gospel essentials sister nashiff talked about a demonstration. It was at a fireside. The speaker had a volunteer go up. She put two tennis balls in a bag and shook it up. Then the speaker had her take everything out of the back. She pulled out two tennis balls. The point was we get out exactly what we put in. the more we put in the more we get out of it. It was a good Sunday. After church I made lunch for my comp and I. I made a traditional dish from my home. Grilled cheese!! It was so good and just reminded me of home.
Yesterday-1/25
For a Monday it was pretty good. We did service for the Houston’s. We went into the yard and did a bunch of yard work. We picked up leaves and weeded. We are going to do service for them each moray and just do little by little in the yard. Soon it will get done. Last night we got our lessons in and had a good time. Elder grant is leaving this week so we spent a little time with him and spent a little time as a district visiting people and just spending time together. It was fun and just a good day to start the week.

So this is my week in review. As a district we have set a new goal. We have the usual missionary goals but then we have one more. We are trying to engineer a squirrel trap. We don't know why we want to catch one but we do. They are everywhere and we just want one. I will keep you updated. We have made a prototype and that failed miserably. Well I hope everyone is staying safe. I love you all. The work is going great and the church is true. Remember replace fear with faith and you get out exactly what you put in.

Love elder M Scottie Draper

No comments:

Post a Comment